Chelsea boss, Mauricio Pochettino has revealed his plan to bring defender Marc Cucurella back to his squad following his failed move to Manchester United over the summer.
Having lost Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia to injury, Man United sought to sign Cucurella on loan during the final week of the summer transfer window.
READ ALSO: EPL: He looks like fish out of water – Chris Sutton knocks Manchester United summer signing
Chelsea’s decision to play the former Brighton star in a Carabao Cup tie against AFC Wimbledon affected the move as Man United instead signed Sergio Reguilon from Tottenham Hotspur.
Cucurella endured a torrid first season at Chelsea following his £65 million move last year from Brighton with recent reports suggesting Pochettino’s side is open to letting him leave in January.
Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s Premier League tie with Fulham on Monday night, Pochettino said at his pre-match conference that he was happy about Cucurella’s commitment, adding that the Spaniard deserves to play for the Blues.
The Argentine also explained he had no involvement in the player’s failed move to United but says he has sought out the left-back to offer him a route back into his team since then.
“I don’t know because I wasn’t involved in this situation, that was more the sporting director, the [player’s] agent and the club,” Pochettino said on Cucurella coming close to leaving Chelsea.
“After, when the transfer window closed, we were talking in my office,” he added.
“We were really clear about how I see and assess him and I listened to his feelings. Of course, it was a difficult time for him after he arrived from Brighton.
“It was tough, not only for him but many, many players.
“That is why we need to give confidence and trust in him. He is our player and I think he was really good against Brighton on Wednesday playing on the right-hand side.
“I think he was doing well and I am so happy about his performance and commitment. That is what we expect from our players.
“Now, it is about working, waiting for the opportunity and working really hard. It is a really clear situation, he is in our plan. If he deserves to play, he will play.”